- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 pounds onions (3 to 4), peeled and cut into thin half moons
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup brandy
- 1 quart beef broth (4 cups)
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) beef consomme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- ½ cup grated low fat swiss cheese, Parmesan or a combination
- Put butter in a large pot set over medium-low heat (I used my Ninja). Add the onions and sprinkle them with the sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are well browned, about 45 minutes.
- Add the flour and brandy and stir until they are well mixed with the onions, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beef consomme, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Scrape up any browned bits from the pan. Lower the heat and simmer, covered 30 minutes. (Or in the Ninja set the slow cooker to low and cook 1 to 2 hours.)
- Divide the shredded cheese evenly among the 6 slices of toasted french bread and broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle soup evenly into the bowls and float a slice of cheese toast in each bowl.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 generous cup): 228 calories, 6.3 g fat, 28.9 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 11.7 g protein