Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef, cubed
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) fat-free, low sodium cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and then brown it in the skillet, cooking it in 2 to 3 batches so you don’t crowd the pan. (Overcrowding the pan will cause the beef to steam instead of brown.)
- Place the beef in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Brown the mushrooms, in the same skillet, again cooking them in 2 batches so they aren’t crowded in the pan, and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add the red wine to the skillet and stir up any browned bits. Stir in the mushroom soup and onion soup mix until the mixture is blended, and then add to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until fork-tender.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1/8th of recipe): 225 calories, 9 g fat, 5 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein
If time is short, skip the browning and just combine everything in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for the recommended time.