Yield: 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (I grate mine on the smallest holed side of my box grater)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 ¼ lbs (20 oz) lean, trimmed top round beef steak (try to get a thin cut – less pounding!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 24 oz jar Marinara sauce
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- You will also need either kitchen twine or toothpicks to seal the steak once the filling is rolled inside
- In a large skillet, heat the 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for a few minutes until onions are softened and add garlic. Cook another minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Add the spinach and stir for about a minute until spinach is wilted. Remove the mixture from heat and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Add the parsley, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and raisins. Stir together to combine and set aside.
- Place your steak on a large piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper. Using a meat mallet, pound the steak to ¼ – 1/3” thick. This took me several minutes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Spread the breadcrumb/spinach mixture down the center of the length of the steak. Roll the steak around the filling beginning with the long side. Tie the rolled steak up with kitchen twine or secure the edges with toothpicks (not the fanciest way to do it but I forgot to buy twine and this works in a pinch!).
- Pour the remaining tablespoon of oil into the large skillet and bring it over medium-high heat. Place the rolled steak into the skillet (mine was long so I had to curl it into a C shape to get it to fit in my largest skillet) and brown for 2-4 minutes on each side until the sides are seared.
- Transfer the steak to your slow cooker and add ¼ cup of water to your skillet to deglaze the pan. Scrape up all the browned bits in the skillet (the water will turn brown) and pour it into the slow cooker over the steak. Add the marinara sauce and crushed tomatoes and stir together. Spoon the sauce over the top of the steak and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 ½ – 6 hours.
313 calories, 20 g carbs, 13 g fat, 28 g protein, 4 g fiber