- 1 lb lean ground turkey sausage (see recipe below)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (no sugar added)
- 8 ounces (uncooked) 100% whole wheat spaghetti, about 2/3 of a 13.25 oz box, break into small pieces before adding to meat mixture
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped (fresh) basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher or sea Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Add all the sausage ingredients a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Cook ground turkey sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking into small pieces while cooking. Ensure the turkey loses its pink color before removing from heat. Drain, discard any fat and set aside. Combine meat with marinara.
In a medium bowl combine cooked turkey sausage with the remaining ingredients, add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 2 hours until cheese is bubbly. Add spaghetti and 3/4 cup of water, stir thoroughly and cook for an additional hour until the spaghetti is cooked through.
Serve and sprinkle with parmesan if desired.