- 2 half chicken breasts on the bone with skin (remove skin before adding to enchiladas)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar red enchilada sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chile peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream, fat free
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas, low sodium if possible (corn tortillas are not recommended as they tend to fall apart) Homemade Whole Grain Tortillas Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breast on the bone, with skin, in a covered baking dish. Bake until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, after about 45 minutes. Chicken should have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Allow to cool. Remove skin and bones, discard. Shred chicken or cut into bite-sized cubes.
In a medium mixing bowl add chicken, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and salt to taste. Add to seasoned chicken: green chile peppers, 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 cup cheese. Mix well. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Leave about 2″ in the bottom without filling and fold up. Continue until all tortillas are filled.
Lightly spray the bottom and the sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. We like to make our own cooking spray by filling this reusable cooking spray bottle with olive or canola oil. Lay enchiladas seam side down in the slow cooker, add a little of the sauce above each layer as you stack them. There should be 2 layers of 3 or 3 layers of 2, depending on the size of your slow cooker.
Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream. Pour over the enchiladas. Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours, or until hot and bubbly. Cut between each enchilada, and carefully remove them, one at a time, with a large spatula. Pour liquid from slow cooker over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.