– 7 oz frozen chopped onions, about 2 cups
– 3 pounds raw, lean beef brisket, trimmed, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 2 large garlic cloves, minced
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
– 1/2 pound baby carrots, cut in half if large
– 8 small uncooked new potatoes, cut in half (unpeeled)
– 16 prunes, pitted
– 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided (from 2 small lemons)
– 5 tsp honey, divided
– 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
– 1/2 tsp black pepper
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 cup beef broth
NOTES: You can substitute dried apricots for the prunes if you prefer.
For a stew with thicker gravy, spoon 1 tablespoon of flour into a cup and stir in 1/4 cup of the tzimmes liquid until the mixture is lump-free. Add the flour mixture to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
Place onion, beef, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, new potatoes, prunes, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and broth; stir well.
Cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours. About 5 minutes before serving, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and remaining 2 teaspoons of honey; cover and cook on low for 5 minutes.