- 1 lb smoked ham shank or ham bone
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (15.8 oz each) great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 5 cups Progresso™ reduced sodium chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place ham shank in slow cooker; add remaining ingredients.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours or until ham shank is tender.
- Remove ham shank; cut into small pieces. Stir into slow cooker. To thicken, mash beans with fork.
- This hearty ham bone soup is delicious with hot-from-the oven crescents or biscuits.
- For more flavor, add 1 bay leaf the last hour of cook time.