- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 lb. (about 8 medium) russet potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/3 oz. (1/3 cup) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese, if desired
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup water and cream of tartar. Add sliced potatoes; toss to coat. Drain, discarding water. Place potatoes in 3 to 4-quart slow cooker.
- In medium bowl, combine soup, 1/2 cup water, flour, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder; mix well. Pour mixture over potatoes; stir gently to coat.
- Cover; cook on Low setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
- Rinsing the sliced potatoes in water made acid with cream of tartar helps keep them firm during long, slow cooking.
- Use two large rubber bands to keep the slow cooker’s lid in place during transit. Hook one rubber band around the lid’s knob and one handle; hook the second rubber band around the lid’s knob and the other handle.
- To turn this side dish into an entree for 6, add 2 cups cubed ham to the slow cooker with the potatoes.