Cook Time: 4 hrs 30 mins
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups mushrooms, halved (I like crimini)
2 cups water
1 cup frozen small whole onions (or 3/4 cup chopped onion)
1 cup celery, sliced, 1/2 inch slices
1 1⁄2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon paprika (make sure to use good quality paprika for full flavor!)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, to taste
14 1⁄4 ounces chicken broth
6 ounces tomato paste
1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups frozen green peas or 2 cups frozen edamame soybeans
1 cup cubed extra firm tofu (optional)
- Combine first 14 ingredients in an electric slow cooker.
- Cover with lid and cook on high setting for 4 hours or until carrot is tender.
- Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add cornstarch mixture and frozen peas or edamame (and tofu, if using) to the slow cooker, stir well.
- Re-cover and cook on high-heat setting an 30 additional minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.