Cook Time: 12 hrs
1⁄4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon mustard
1 1⁄2 cups Guinness stout or 1 1⁄2 cups other dark beer
1⁄2 cup beef broth, undiluted
- Lightly coat shanks in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Reserve left over flour mixture.
- In a skillet heat oil.
- Add lamb in batches and cook until browned.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat and add onions, to pan, cook till softened.
- Add garlic,thyme, bay leaf and reserved flour cook 1-2 minutes stir in tomato paste, mustard, beer & broth.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 10 -12 hours or on high 5 – 6 hours.