Prep time:15 mins
Cook time: 90 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 mins
- 4 cups potatoes, diced small (see NOTES)
- ¼ cup finely diced onions
- 2 tbs fresh chives, snipped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices crisp cooked bacon, diced
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure the potatoes are well coated with the mayonnaise.
- Place potato mixture in a 2- quart baking dish (you can also use a 9 x 9- or 11 x 7-inch pan)
- You may sprinkle a bit of extra cheese on the top, but that is optional.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until potatoes are done in the center of the casserole.
- SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Mix all ingredients and place in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, high 4-6 hours.
- Bear in mind the top will not brown in the slow cooker.
- You may substitute the fresh potatoes for an equal amount of frozen southern-style hash browns. If you don’t defrost the frozen potatoes, extend the bake time 15-30 minutes.
- You don’t have to bother peeling the fresh potatoes. Just make sure to scrub them well before dicing.