- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild and brown rice blend
- 1 package Just BARE Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 large onion, diced (a heaping cup)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups no salt added chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- milk or water as necessary to thin soup
- Combine all ingredients except cream in a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaves and discard. Remove chicken thighs, shred and return to slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, place 1/2 cup heavy cream. Slowly whisk 1-2 cups of hot soup into cream. Then, slowly pour that mixture back into the slow cooker while whisking.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed before serving.
Note: I always use the inside stalks of celery with the leaves for soup – they have great flavor.