Bottom round rump roast (4-5 pounds)
1/3 cup flour
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion
16 ounces baby carrots
1 1/2 pounds baby yukon gold potatoes
8 ounces cremini mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
4 cups beef broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons flour
- Season the pot roast generously with salt and pepper. Coat the roast with flour, shaking off excess flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Brown the pot roast on all sides, about 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cut the potatoes and mushrooms in half and put in the slow cooker, along with the carrots and three cloves of garlic. Quarter the onion and add into the slow cooker. Chop the rosemary and parsley and add into the slow cooker. Add the beef broth, soy sauce and tomato paste into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours (or low for 8).
- When the roast is done, remove to a large platter, along with the vegetables.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix the butter and flour. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the liquids from the slow cooker into the sauce pan with the butter and flour mixture. Whisk until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve over egg noodles. You may also serve over mashed potatoes (in that case, omit the baby yukon golds from the recipe).