- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Steamed rice, chopped cilantro and sliced green onions, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil. Brown pork working in batches, seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer cooked pork to slow cooker.
- Leave about 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet and add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook over low heat, stirring, until fragrant and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add mixture to the crock pot. Add the tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk and stock, cover and cook on high for 4 hours. *Remove as much fat from the surface of the stew as possible. Serve the stew over rice, garnished with cilantro and scallions.
- *I put mine in the refrigerator for a few hours so the fat solidified. This makes it easy to skim off any fat.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest