- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 cups cut string beans (frozen is fine)
- ½ head of cabbage, cored and chopped
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (I used 96% lean), cooked and drained OR an additional can of kidney beans for a vegetarian option
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (about 1 ¾ cup), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, I like San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- Place onions, carrots, string beans, cabbage, and celery at the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Top with cooked beef and drained beans. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, bay leaf, and optional turmeric and curry powder, if desired. Pour crushed tomatoes, beef broth, and water into the pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf. Serve immediately, store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest