- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes or a 14 ounce can)
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. cayenne pepper hot sauce (adjust to heat preference)
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or one 14 oz. can red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped vegan sausage (optional, I like Field Roast brand)
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
Slow Cooker Method
- Place oil, pepper, celery, onion, garlic, tomatoes, 4 cups of broth, paprika, cumin, black pepper, thyme, oregano and hot sauce into slow cooker set to low heat.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 1 1/2 hours before serving time, add rice and raise heat to high.
- Stir, cover and cook for another hour to an hour and a half, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Add more broth if the rice becomes too dry during cooking.
- Add beans and sausage. Stir and cook another 2 minutes or so, until beans and sausage are heated throughout.
- Served topped with scallions.
Stove Top Method
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot add bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, until veggies are softened.
- Add tomatoes, 4 cups of broth, paprika, cumin, black pepper, thyme, oregano, hot sauce, and rice. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and allow to simmer until the rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 5 minutes, covered.
- If using vegan sausage, briefly heat it on the stove or in the microwave while the rice sits.
- Remove lid, fluff rice with a fork, and stir in the beans. Serve topped with scallions.