- For the cabbage rolls
- 12 cabbage leaves + leftover
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup water, broth or tomato sauce
- 1?4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- For the sauce (If you like lots of sauce, feel free to double this, I’ve done it both ways)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can tomato soup
- Cut approx 1/4 inch off the bottom of the cabbage head and place the whole head in boiling water.
- Boil about 2 minutes. Peel off the softened leaves.
- Place remaining head back in the boiling water and repeat until all of the leaves are removed.
- Remove any tough stems from cooked leaves.
- (You can freeze cabbage then thaw and skip the boiling part. We just need the leaves soft enough to roll)
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, uncooked rice, 1/4 cup water/broth or tomato sauce, garlic powder,pepper, salt, sugar, onion.
- Stir in egg and combine well.
- Whisk together tomato sauce, tomato soup, paprika and Worcestershire sauce in another bowl.
- Use the left over cabbage to cover the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place 1/3 cup meat mixture in center of leaf and roll up like a burrito.
- Place cabbage rolls seam side down in slow cooker, in two layers so they are touching but not over crowded either.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour over rolls.
- Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and drizzle with tomato sauce.
- * You can cook the rice prior to adding it to the meat mixture,
- if desired (just follow the rice manufacturer’s directions for cooking),
- but raw rice is how my mother made it, and the rice has always cooked through perfectly for me.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest