2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
3 to 3 1/2 lb pork loin back ribs (about 2 racks)
1 can (16 oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 jar (12 oz) beef gravy
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Set oven control to broil; heat 15 minutes. Line broiler pan with foil.
- In small bowl, mix cumin, chili powder and 2 teaspoons brown sugar. Rub evenly over racks of ribs. Place ribs on rack in broiler pan. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until browned. Cool slightly. Cut into individual ribs.
- Place ribs in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Reserve half of the cranberry sauce. In medium bowl, mix remaining cranberry sauce and remaining ingredients; pour over ribs.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Stir in reserved cranberry sauce; stir from bottom of cooker to coat ribs with sauce. Set cooker to Low heat setting to serve. Ribs will hold on Low heat setting up to 2 hours.
- For smaller pieces, ask the butcher to cut the racks across the bones, especially if the ribs are longer than 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Racks of ribs will vary in size, depending on the size of the animal.
- Serve with chunks of blue cheese and celery sticks.