2 pounds beef stew meat
1 envelope (1 ounce) onion soup mix (from 2-ounce package)
5 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and mild green chilies, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Place all ingredients in order listed in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
- Stir gently to mix before serving.
- Serve leftovers tucked into taco shells or tortillas for quick-to-fix tacos.
- For Tex-Mex toppers, try shredded coconut, rice and pecans. In the Texas panhandle and into New Mexico, this is called a “pile-on.”
- Ready-to-heat meals are always welcome in homes with new babies. Pack chili in one- or two-serving-size containers and freeze. Label the containers with the contents and add whimsical baby stickers before packing in a pretty gift bag.