- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen yellow corn
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- reduced-fat sour cream
- jalapeño, sliced
- shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
*Optional ingredients are not included in nutritional calculations.
- Put all ingredients except the rice into the slow cooker, place the chicken on top.
- Simmer for 4 to 6 hours until the chicken can be easily shredded.
- Take the chicken out of the slow cooker. Shred it before bringing it back to the slow cooker.
- Add the rice and cook 30 minutes more until the rice is well cooked or until total liquid absorption.
- In case of too much liquid, keep the slow cooker covered and cook on high for 15-30 minutes more.